Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Video CD

  1. #1
    Inactive Member corey13's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 11th, 2001
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Hi Everyone,

    I have a super 8 film that I want to put on a VCD but I hardly know what you need and how to do it.

    My DVD Player can play a VCD and this is how I intend to play it but do I need a CD-RW or a CD-R or something else to burn it? Do I need any special software? Would I just use a blank CD-R? How about a menu? Is there anyway I could do that?

    I would appreciate it if someone would answer my questions, and anything else I need to know.

    Corey

  2. #2
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    you have it on a computer already? on video? on film? anyway, assuming you have captured it to hd already, what you have to do is this:

    remove any telecine pulldown. after effects can do this, and i think the free virtualdub can too (i'm a mac user so i'm not sure).

    possibly resize, but the encoder (see below) should do this for you.

    encode it to mpeg-1 using the "vcd" template avalable in most mpeg encoders. i use cleaner 5, which also performs dynamic noise reduction on the material, which helps compression a lot.

    burn it to a cd-r using a cd authoring program that handles vcd's. most do. this is where you add the menu as well. the docs should tell you how.

    now cross your fingers and try and play it. some players don't handle cd-r that well. you can test by burning a short audio cd and try it on the dvd player first. if it works, a vcd should work too.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    Corey, check out "Willard's" post, he may be the person to contact regarding this matter.

    Also, John Longenecker has a site.

    Check out THE BEST SUPER WEBSITE THREAD....for that link.

    Alex

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Moldy_Rutabaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2001
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    >I have a super 8 film that I want to put on a VCD but I hardly know what you need and how to do it.

    >My DVD Player can play a VCD and this is how I intend to play it but do I need a CD-RW or a CD-R or something else to burn it?

    Corey, there is a DVD/VCD tutorial at http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html.

    It is unlikely that your DVD player can play a CD-RW, but I might be wrong. It doesn't cost anything to find out!
    You can do this with almost any CD recorder, and Easy CD Creator has an option to make VCDs. What you are basically making is a disc of files at 352x240 with the Mpeg1 codec. The picture will look slightly squished on your computer, but will be fine on TV.

    Ken in AB


    ------------------
    Ken in Alberta

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Moldy_Rutabaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2001
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There is a more technical guide to making VCD files at:
    http://www.oldskool.org/mpeg/mpegfaq.html

    Ken

    ------------------
    Ken in Alberta

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •